Hurricane season is here! Your level of preparation before a hurricane can determine how well you and your equipment will weather the storm and how quickly you recover from it. Use the following tips to help prevent your wheelchair from suffering unnecessary damage during a hurricane so you stay mobile and independent when you need it most:
What is in your emergency catheter kit?
- Completely charge your power chair before the storm.
- Keep chargers off the floor and away from areas that may flood.
- Think about the equipment you use regularly. If you must evacuate, there may be portable equipment that will be lighter and easier to take with you such as a lightweight manual wheelchair.
- If you have backup equipment or other devices that assist with your mobility, store them in the most useful and dry place in case of emergency.
- Avoid rain and water, if possible, on the cushion of manual and power chairs. Keep your cushion as dry as possible as moisture can be bad for it as well as for your skin.
- For power chair users, placing large zip lock bags (or garbage bags) over the joystick can help minimize water getting into the electrical components.
- Don’t drive your wheelchair into standing water - even water one inch deep can ruin motors, electronics, and bearings and may result in your chair getting stuck and/or malfunctioning immediately or later.
- Contact Numotion if we can help with any service and repairs: 800-500-9150
Prepare in advance. For intermittent catheter users, it's essential you have the medical supplies you need to maintain a healthy bladder and bowel management program. We encourage you to include a 14-day supply of medical supplies.
- Intermittent catheters (and lubricant if needed)
- Bowel management essentials: suppositories or mini enemas
- Antibacterial hand wipes or antibacterial hand sanitizer
- Hygiene wet wipes and toilet paper
- Small flashlight
- Non-latex, disposable gloves
- For females, a compact mirror and any additional feminine hygiene items required.
- Necessary medications
- A list of the medications you take, intermittent catheter item number, your doctors' and medical supplier names and phone numbers.
- Contact Numotion Medical Supply if you need help you with your catheter needs: (800) 834-9694
Here are additional resources to keep you prepared: