1. Make sure your wheelchair is locked. Angle the back of the wheelchair out about ten degrees to prevent having to transfer over the highest part of the tire.
2. Scoot to the front of the wheelchair as much as possible - again helping to avoid going over the top of the tire.
3. Put your feet in the car, and keep your knees slightly bent.
4. Push off of the driver’s seat with your left arm and grab the interior handle or the roof of the car with your right hand. Push with the right arm and pull with the left at the same time.
5. Use a towel or a piece of silky material and drape it over the seat and let it fall slightly outside of the car. This helps to protect your car from being marked by the wheelchair and can help prevent skin shearing during the transfer.