Seating systems are groups of components that make contact with your body while you’re in your custom wheelchair to support you in a sitting position. These individually prescribed components include the cushion, back support and postural supports.
Why is it important to have a good seating system?
Proper seating provides stability and helps you comfortably participate in activities of daily living. Individually configured seats and backs help accommodate spasticity and can also help prevent injuries like pressure injuries.
How do I know which seating system is for me?
To effectively match you with the proper seating components, we evaluate your physical and functional needs. Based on the evaluation, your Numotion ATP and full clinical team helps you craft an individually configured seating system.
The evaluation generally includes:
- Your goals and challenges
- Your current and desired function
- A hands-on physical evaluation to determine interferences with your ability to sit
- Pressure mapping, which shows how pressure is distributed across your cushion. This allows our team to identify high-pressure and low-pressure areas on your cushion and make adjustments that provide pressure relief
- A trial period with the type of equipment the clinical team feels will accomplish your goals
Our cushions, backs and supports are made of a combination of materials — typically foam, fluid, air and gel — that provide a stable, comfortable surface with properly distributed pressure. Some materials, like foam, retain heat more than others. If you have to decrease heat retention because of heat intolerance or increased sweating, then this should be discussed during the evaluation process.
All cushions have covers, and many have a choice of covers that are designed to deal with heat build-up and are fluid-resistant for easy cleaning. For those with more severe incontinence issues, we offer heavy-duty fluid-resistant covers.
NuDigest: Avoiding Pressure Injuries and Other Complications with Proper Seating and WC Systems